Monday, October 10, 2011

Unusal Findings in Switzerland

To start, one of the first things we discovered that was very clearly different than in the US, were the keys. The keys are bizarre, different and I'm not completely sure how they work. Have a look...


That key is used to open out the main door to our building, the door to our individual flat, and our little storage area downstairs. I think it's magic.

More interesting signs? Yes, I have found another one. This was inside one of the buildings at Brett's school.


Then of course, the door handles. In Switzerland, I have yet to see a door knob. Just like in our flat, we have door handles. Also, the most interesting thing I found about our handles is that every door in the flat, except for the main door, has a skeleton key and a lock that fits it. It's definitely something I'm not used to, but I like it.


Also, we had already mentioned back in the mosquito post that there are not screens on any of the windows or doors. However, my favorite feature about the doors and windows here are that most of them open in two different ways; all the way open, like a door, or the top of the window/door tips open just to let some air in. It's kind of hard to explain, so of course, I took pictures as an example. 


Above is an example of the window being tilted open. Our patio door at our hostel had this option, as do most of the windows in our flat.

Below is an example of the windows being completely open, letting a lot more air and freshness in, however this time of year, it also let's in a lot more cold air. Brrrrr!


Also, in another previous post, I had a picture the light buttons used to turn on the lights. I don't know exactly what they are called, because I know we have light switches in the US, however, the button isn't really a switch... so, I'm calling it a light button. Anyways, the light buttons are used for the lights to enter our flat, for the kitchen, the living room, etc. For the bedrooms, there is a different light button, it's actually not a button at all... it's a touch-pad. 


That's also a Swiss outlet below the light touch-pad. I'm making up new words... go with it. Anyways, to turn the light on or off, all you have to do is touch the little metal area with your finger, hand, wrist, elbow or even your forehead... yes, I tried it. The neatest thing about it is it's also a dimmer. When the light is off, if your hold your finger, hand, wrist, elbow or even forehead on the metal pad longer than just tapping it, the light will start to come on, but at a slower rate. If you release the metal pad, the light will stay its dimmed level. Same goes if the light is on and you wanted it dimmed... All you would have to do is touch the metal pad longer than just tapping it, and the light would begin to dim. Whenever it's where you want it, just release, and it will stay. 

It's kind of fun. When I first discovered this, I was entertained for a good half hour. 

Another cool thing I found was in one of the buildings at Brett's school... Almost every hallway or every stairway had these magnetic strips lining the walls. At first, I thought they were some bizarre decoration until I realized they were magnetic. Then, I realized that it was awesome! 


I thought this was a great idea. It looks odd, but once filled, I'm sure they look better. There were little magnets on the wall so students could post things all around the school without filling up the walls with staples. I thought it was great! Not only do staples not get wasted, but it saves the walls from having multiple holes in them once the papers are torn down. This way it's easier and kind of a way to decorate the hallways. 

Anyways, that's all for the unusual things I've found so far. I'm sure there will be more!

No comments:

Post a Comment