Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Mosquitoes Have Found Us

I think I posted earlier in this blog that I noticed there weren't as many mosquitoes here in Switzerland... I think that was because we were close to the city, because now that we are closer to nature... We are being attacked!

I understand we live right next to a brook, we have a farm in our back yard, and we leave the windows wide open all day (no screens), but still it's hard to believe that this wasn't a bigger problem just 20 minutes into the city. I have read so many places that the mosquitoes here are smaller and slower. I will agree with some of that, because they are definitely a lot smaller here than at home, however, they are only slower once they are already filled with your blood. They are also incredible hiders. They like to buzz in your ear the second before you are about to pass out. You know that if you don't kill him, you will wake up the next morning covered in bites on the parts of your body that weren't completely covered by a blanket. This has been an issue the last couple of nights.

Just a few nights ago, Brett and I were pretty fed up with the biting and the buzzing. They had been bothering me for a while, but Brett thought I was making it into a bigger deal than it was... until he started to get bit up. Ha! We took a few precautionary steps... First, we made sure the doors and windows were closed when night came. Second, we made sure to keep our bedroom door closed so mosquitoes that may be hiding around the other rooms, didn't make their way into ours. Third, we had a good ol' fashion mosquito hunt right before we went to bed.

Brett and I both grabbed something to smack them with. We stood in our room and swung at anything that moved. Of course, because they are a good amount smaller than what we are used to, it's amazing how much harder they are to see. They hide on the walls, the ceiling and of course the curtains. We killed 6 mosquitoes. We stood for a couple more minutes waiting to see if we could hear anything else buzzing... silence. Perfect. We got our PJ's on and went to bed.

Buzzzzzz! Buzzzzzz! You have got to be kidding me?! We killed 6 of these horrible insects and they were still some alive. This was insane. We couldn't believe it. We tried to swat them away as we were pretty tired, but finally we had it. We didn't want to wake up an itchy mess again... We turned the light back on and of course they hide.

Now, I know we have a farm in our backyard and not many other people are up at midnight killing mosquitoes, but if anybody was up and could see our window from their window... they must have had a good laugh. There aren't many street lights where we live and when it's dark outside, it's pitch black. So, I'm sure everyone could clearly see us going nuts on the mosquitoes because our light was the brightest thing in the neighborhood.

Anyways, back to the mosquito hunt. We stood still in awkward positions every time we heard a buzz, because we knew if we moved they would hide again. The more they hid, the longer we would have to stay up doing this mosquito hunt. Ready for it? 10 more! We killed 10 more mosquitoes! Where were they coming from? How did they find us? Why...

Brett and I began to think that there was some kind of secret passage they were taking into our room. At this point, I realize we started going a bit crazy. However, I'm sure you would too if you were already covered in mosquito bites and they were threatening to bite you even more.

Brett thought it would be a good idea to leave a few of the dead bodies on the window and the wall to send a warning to the rest of the mosquitoes that dared to enter our room. We don't know how to say "Tell all your friends!" in German, but I think squashed mosquito knows no language barriers.

We go to bed finally to the sound of silence and enjoy a bite free night.... until two nights later!

So, that was last night. We couldn't find this thing to save our lives. We went to bed, heard the buzzing, got up saw nothing. Shook the curtains, carefully looked on the walls and ceiling. Nothing. There wasn't a mosquito in sight. We tried to go back to bed. Buzzed again! Alright, he's in here, we have to find him. This time, I got up and turned the light on, Brett stayed in bed to lure him back. Nothing. So, then I stood at the light switch, with the lights off, waiting for Brett to tell me he heard buzzing. I would then turn on the lights and run for the mosquito. This didn't work either. I know... I said we started to go crazy. Finally, we just decided that the literal markings on the wall would scare the jerk away from biting us that night. We went to bed and covered up as much of our bodies as we could with the blankets to ensure we didn't get bit. I'm pretty sure we didn't hear from that crazy mosquito again, but there's always tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment